Bethel AME Church Shelbyville, KY - (502) 633-3330

Bethel's ministries stress liberation and empowerment in Jesus Christ, which is something He alone brings to all who seek Him.

Bethel's ministries stress liberation and empowerment in Jesus Christ, which is something He alone brings to all who seek Him.

1866 – On November 5th an African Methodist Episcopal Church group filed a list of elected Trustees with the city of Shelbyville, a necessary action in order to be able to purchase property. The trustees were: William Robinson, Henry Dove, Isaiah Smith, Jordan Freeman, Peter Russell, Wilson Gordon, Hillery Summers, and William H. Russell, Clerk. It was sold to the African Methodist Episcopal Church group on April 20th, 1867 for the sum of $150.00

1868 – The first church building was constructed.

1916 – The African Methodist Episcopal Church group rebuilt the church which came to be named Bethel, the house of God. The work was completed by Pastor Ward and the men of the church. The women assisted by hand-cleaning the bricks as the old building was demolished, so that they could be reused on the new church structure.
1978 – Under the pastoral care of the Reverend F.E. Hale work began on renovating the entire upstairs and sanctuary. This was a major overhaul of the area which entailed removing the old balcony and expanding the front vestibule area to the baptismal pool; construction of dual choir lofts, an elevated pulpit area, new furnishings and light fixtures, and internal public address system, central heating and air conditioning, glass plated doors, new entrance doors to the sanctuary, and a rain canopy to cover the front porch. The trustees contracted with Shelby County Trust to borrow $40,000, which supplemented the money given by the members and friends, to complete this extensive project.

1983 – The final payment was made on September 7th to retire a $18,500 mortgage made to renovate the church. Candelabras and a memorial plaque were purchased and installed under the pastoral leadership of the Reverend Marcus Taylor.

1984 – A new roof was added to the church under the pastoral leadership of the Reverend George Palmer. Property to the rear of the church was purchased as well.

1986 – Pastor Fred E. Hale was again led a renovation project on the lower (basement) auditorium. The renovation included carpeting, installing air conditioning, installing partitions, replacing windows and creating access to the lower auditorium from the vestibule. This work was completed in 1987 and a dedication ceremony was held in February.

Since then the church has had several great pastor leaders and is now engaged in another building project. This project concerns not only the physical building and properties owned by the church, but it also involves building the human bodies mind and spirit.

Tags: Religious Organization

Address & Contact

Street:
414 Henry Clay St
City:
Shelbyville
State:
KY
Zip:
40065
Phone:
(502) 633-3330
Category:
Church/Religious Organization

Map & Directions

Join on Facebook